Monday 16 August 2010

Fighting God's Battles

These days I have to admit that I am intrigued when I see or hear of Christians protesting about something, where they are claiming to 'defend God's honour'. I am intrigued, because I am wondering why they see it as so important to do so.

Not that I am against campaigning. This weekend I was reminded of the importance and success of FairTrade campaigning with the examples of Cadbury and Mars standing prominently. Speaking out on such causes I would say is part of our duty as Christians, part of our mission.

But defending God's honour, I am really not so sure. There is an interesting episode in Judges, verses 6:28 - 32 where the people were (naturally) upset with Gideon for going against their Baal worship in such a direct way. They wanted his blood, to take action into their own hands in the cause of Baal. Here's the rub, Joash in v31 realised that if Baal is a god, he can fight for himself in such a matter - they don't need to do it for him.

Surely it is the same with God (who really is God)? We don't need to take up arms on God's behalf in this kind of way - God can fight His own battles (much more successfully!).

Now it may be that God directs us to take action (Gideon acted on the Lord's command, v25), but we don't need to fight for God as if he was our little brother who needs us to stand up for him.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly!! I think we have missed the point somewhat with God's honour. There are times when the way Christians speak about God's honour sounds somewhat mediaeval to me rather than biblical...

    ReplyDelete